Symptoms of hypochondriasis include:
- Excessive fear of disease
- Preoccupation or obsession with health:
- Doctor shopping or frequently switching doctors
- Seeking repeated medical exams, consultations, or testing
- Firm conviction that one has a disease despite normal medical evaluations
- Worry that minor symptoms might represent a serious disease
The above symptoms interrupt normal daily activities, making it difficult for the person to function effectively.
Continue to Hypochondriasis Evaluation
- Barsky AJ, Ahern DK. Cognitive behavior therapy for hypochondriasis: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2004 Mar 24;291(12):1464-70. 
- Creed F, Barsky A. A systematic review of the epidemiology of somatisation disorder and hypochondriasis. J Psychosom Res. 2004 Apr;56(4):391-408. 
- Hiller W, Leibbrand R, Rief W, Fichter MM. Differentiating hypochondriasis from panic disorder. J Anxiety Disord. 2005;19(1):29-49.