Hyperventilation Attack Treatment
The treatment for panic attacks usually includes stress reduction, mental health counseling, support groups, and biofeedback. Additional treatment for panic attacks may include anti-anxiety medications or antidepressants. Treatment for hyperventilation may include instructions on how to breathe into a paper bag.
The treatment options for panic attacks include:
- Reducing stress
- Coping with panic attacks
- Treatment for causes of panic attacks:
Short-term treatment of panic attacks includes:
- Calm surroundings
- Quiet surroundings
- Bag-breathing for hyperventilation
- Medications for anxiety
Long-term treatment of panic attacks includes:
- Biofeedback for panic attacks
- Counseling for panic attacks
- Cognitive therapy for panic attacks
- Support group for panic attacks
- Intermediate-acting benzodiazepines:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors:
For more information:
Hyperventilation Attack Drugs
Medications for panic attacks include:
- Benzodiazepines for panic attacks:
- Antidepressants for panic attacks:
For more information:
Hyperventilation Attack Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of panic attacks.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- Do I need medication?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- Will I need therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for panic attacks?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Hyperventilation Attack Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat panic attacks:
Continue to Hyperventilation Attack Home Care
- Goodwin R, Olfson M. Treatment of panic attack and risk of major depressive disorder in the community. Am J Psychiatry. 2001 Jul;158(7):1146-8. 
- Goodwin RD, Lieb R, Hoefler M, Pfister H, Bittner A, Beesdo K, Wittchen HU. Panic attack as a risk factor for severe psychopathology. Am J Psychiatry. 2004 Dec;161(12):2207-14. 
- Watanabe A, Nakao K, Tokuyama M, Takeda M. Prediction of first episode of panic attack among white-collar workers. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2005 Apr;59(2):119-26.