Hypertensive Cardiomyopathy Treatment
Treatment for hypertensive cardiomyopathy often includes the effective control of high blood pressure with antihypertensive medications. Additional medications may be prescribed to remove excess water from the body and encourage the heart to pump more effectively. Additional treatment for hypertensive cardiomyopathy may include restricting the intake of fluids, and adherence to a diet that is low in salt, fat, and cholesterol.
Treatment options for hypertensive cardiomyopathy include:
- Diet for high blood pressure
- Lifestyle changes for high blood pressure
- Medications for high blood pressure
- Surgery for high blood pressure:
Hypertensive cardiomyopathy can lead to congestive heart failure.
Treatment for congestive heart failure includes:
- Healthy heart diet:
- Fluid restriction for congestive heart failure
- Elastic support stockings
- Exercise plan developed with your doctor.
- Stop smoking
Medications for congestive heart failure include:
- Beta-blocker medication
- ACE inhibitor medication
- Long acting nitroglycerin
Additional treatment for congestive heart failure may include:
Hypertensive Cardiomyopathy Questions For Doctor
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Hypertensive Cardiomyopathy Specialist
Continue to Hypertensive Cardiomyopathy Home Care
- Slama M, Susic D, Varagic J, Frohlich ED. Diastolic dysfunction in hypertension. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2002 Jul;17(4):368-73. 
- Yamasaki N, Kitaoka H, Matsumura Y, Furuno T, Nishinaga M, Doi Y. Heart failure in the elderly. Intern Med. 2003 May;42(5):383-8.