The treatment for hyperpituitarism depends upon which hormone is over-produced by the pituitary gland. Treatment for hyperpituitarism often includes medications, hormone replacement therapy, and surgery.
Treatment options for hyperpituitarism include:
- Medications for hyperpituitarism
- Bromocriptine (Parlodel)
- Cabergoline (Dostinex)
- Octreotide (Sandostatin, Sandostatin LAR-Depot)
- Pegvisomant (Somavert)
- Aminoglutethimide (Cytadren)
- Ketoconazole (Nizoral)
- Surgery for hyperpituitarism:
- Followed by hormone replacement therapy
For more information:
Continue to Hyperpituitarism Underlying Cause
- Horvath E, Kovacs K, Scheithauer BW. Pituitary hyperplasia. Pituitary. 1999 May;1(3-4):169-79.