To better understand hyperpituitarism, it helps to understand the anatomy of the pituitary gland.
The pituitary gland is a small, pea-sized gland that is located at the base of the brain. It is attached to the hypothalamus by a stalk. The hypothalamus controls the release of hormones from the pituitary gland.
Pituitary hormones include:
- Growth hormone:
- Stimulates growth
- Thyroid stimulating hormone:
- Stimulates the thyroid gland
- Adrenocorticotropic hormone:
- Stimulates breast tissue to produce milk
- Horvath E, Kovacs K, Scheithauer BW. Pituitary hyperplasia. Pituitary. 1999 May;1(3-4):169-79.