What to expect with hemolytic uremic syndrome:
- Over 90 percent of children with hemolytic uremic syndrome survive the initial illness.
- Most children recover completely.
- Between 10 percent and 30 percent of those who survive the initial illness experience kidney damage.
- About 5 to 10 percent of those with hemolytic uremic syndrome die from the disease.
Continue to HUS Complications
- Dlott JS, Danielson CF, Blue-Hnidy DE, McCarthy LJ. Drug-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome: a concise review. Ther Apher Dial. 2004 Apr;8(2):102-11. 
- Melnyk AM, Solez K, Kjellstrand CM. Adult hemolytic-uremic syndrome. A review of 37 cases. Arch Intern Med. 1995 Oct 23;155(19):2077-84. 
- Starr M, Bennett-Wood V, Bigham AK, de Koning-Ward TF, Bordun AM, Lightfoot D, Bettelheim KA, Jones CL, Robins-Browne RM. Hemolytic-uremic syndrome following urinary tract infection with enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli: case report and review. Clin Infect Dis. 1998 Aug;27(2):310-5.