Hurts to Urinate Treatment
Treatment for painful urination depends on the underlying cause.
Treatment for painful urination may include:
- Antibiotics for urinary tract infection
- Phenazopyridine (Pyridium):
- Medication that numbs the bladder
- Pyridium may turn the urine orange
- Increase liquids in the diet:
- Cranberry juice
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
For more information:
Continue to Hurts to Urinate Home Care
- Bent S, Nallamothu BK, Simel DL, Fihn SD, Saint S. Does this woman have an acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection? JAMA. 2002 May 22-29;287(20):2701-10. 
- Bremnor JD, Sadovsky R. Evaluation of dysuria in adults. Am Fam Physician. 2002 Apr 15;65(8):1589-96. 
- Shaikh N, Morone NE, Lopez J, Chianese J, Sangvai S, D'Amico F, Hoberman A, Wald ER. Does this child have a urinary tract infection? JAMA. 2007 Dec 26;298(24):2895-904.