Hodgkin's Lymphoma Diet
It is important to follow a healthy diet if you have Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Cancer and Chemotherapy Diet
Adequate nutrition is essential for the body to fight cancer. Unfortunately, cancer and its treatment can cause anorexia, weight loss and malnutrition.
There are two main goals for a cancer diet:
Strategies for evaluating weight loss and anorexia include:
- Determine symptoms that might cause loss of appetite.
- Learn what foods stimulate the appetite.
- Provide nutritional and dietary counseling.
Practical dietary guidelines:
- Atmosphere does make a difference: an attractively set table can help take your mind off a poor appetite.
- Aromas may also help stimulate the appetite, such as freshly baked bread and cookies.
- A glass of wine or beer prior to meals may stimulate the appetite.
- Avoid foods that do not interest you.
- Discuss your eating problems with your doctor.
- Give food a chance: food that sounds unappealing today, may sound good tomorrow.
- Stay away from raw eggs and raw meats.
- Take advantage of a good appetite.
- Eat when you feel hungry: do not wait for mealtime.
Benefits of proper nutrition during chemotherapy:
- Improves your tolerance to therapy: a well-nourished body is stronger and more resilient than a poorly nourished one
- Increases the effectiveness of therapy
- Regulates your weight
- Speeds recovery from treatment
Continue to Hodgkin's Lymphoma Pain in Adults
- Cartwright RA, Watkins G. Epidemiology of Hodgkin's disease: a review. Hematol Oncol. 2004 Mar;22(1):11-26. 
- Dieckmann K, Potter R, Wagner W, Prott FJ, Hornig-Franz I, Rath B, Schellong G. Up-front centralized data review and individualized treatment proposals in a multicenter pediatric Hodgkin's disease trial with 71 participating hospitals: the experience of the German-Austrian pediatric multicenter trial DAL-HD-90. Radiother Oncol. 2002 Feb;62(2):191-200. 
- McCunney RJ. Hodgkin's disease, work, and the environment. A review. J Occup Environ Med. 1999 Jan;41(1):36-46. 
- Provencio M, Espana P, Millan I, Yebra M, Sanchez AC, de la Torre A, Bonilla F, Regueiro CA, de Letona JM. Prognostic factors in Hodgkin's disease. Leuk Lymphoma. 2004 Jun;45(6):1133-9.