HIV AIDS Integrase Inhibitors
Integrase inhibitors work by inhibiting the enzyme integrase, which is responsible for integration of viral DNA into the DNA of the infected cell.
Integrase inhibitors are used in combination with other antiretroviral medications for the treatment of HIV to prevent the virus from spreading in the body and to reduce the amount of virus in the bloodstream.
In 2007, the FDA approved raltegravir (Isentress) for use in individuals whose infection has proven resistant to other HAART drugs.
Continue to HIV AIDS NNRTI Drugs
- Aberg JA, Gallant JE, Anderson J, et al: Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: recommendations of the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2004 Sep 1; 39(5): 609-29. 
- Aberg JA, Kaplan JE, Libman H, Emmanuel P, Anderson JR, Stone VE, Oleske JM, Currier JS, Gallant JE; HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: 2009 update by the HIV medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2009 Sep 1;49(5):651-81. 
- Chang R, Wong G, Gold J, et al: HIV-related emergencies: frequency, diagnoses, and outcome. J Gen Intern Med 1993 Sep; 8(9): 465-9. 
- Clumeck N: Choosing the best initial therapy for HIV-1 infection. N Engl J Med 1999 Dec 16; 341(25): 1925-6. 
- Hammer SM. Clinical practice. Management of newly diagnosed HIV infection. N Engl J Med. 2005 Oct 20;353(16):1702-10. 
- Knoll B, Lassmann B, Temesgen Z. Current status of HIV infection: a review for non-HIV-treating physicians. Int J Dermatol. 2007 Dec;46(12):1219-28. 
- McArthur JC, Brew BJ, Nath A. Neurological complications of HIV infection. Lancet Neurol. 2005 Sep;4(9):543-55. 
- Mylonakis E, Paliou M, Lally M, et al: Laboratory testing for infection with the human immunodeficiency virus: established and novel approaches. Am J Med 2000 Nov; 109(7): 568-76. 
- Paul SM, Sensakovic J, Podhurst LS, Morgan DH, Triano-Davis W. Managing HIV/AIDS patients. N J Med. 1998 May;95(5):55-60. 
- Treatment guidelines from the Medical Letter: Drugs for HIV Infection. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2004 Jan; 2(17): 1-8. 
- Varghese GK, Crane LR: Evaluation and treatment of HIV-related illnesses in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 1994. Sep. (3): 503-11.