Facts about histoplasmosis:
- In the US, almost all people living in the Midwest are infected with histoplasmosis.
- About 500,000 people in the US are infected each year.
- Most of those infected do not develop symptoms.
- Only 5 out of 100 infected persons develop symptoms of infection.
- In 1 out of 2,000 infected people, the infection spreads to other organs.
Continue to Histoplasmosis Risk Factors
- Cano MV, Hajjeh RA. The epidemiology of histoplasmosis: a review. Semin Respir Infect. 2001 Jun;16(2):109-18. 
- Wheat J. Histoplasmosis. Experience during outbreaks in Indianapolis and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore). 1997 Sep;76(5):339-54.