Hip Dislocation Types
The hip is a ball and socket joint. The socket is part of the pelvis.
There are two types of hip dislocations:
- Anterior hip dislocation:
- The femoral head is in front of the socket
- Posterior hip dislocation:
- The femoral head is behind the socket
Continue to Hip Dislocation Anatomy
- Hamilton H, Fung T, Rapley P. Reconstruction for chronic dislocation of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003 Aug;85(6):802-8. 
- Soong M, Rubash HE, Macaulay W. Dislocation after total hip arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2004 Sep-Oct;12(5):314-21. 
- Vialle R, Odent T, Pannier S, Pauthier F, Laumonier F, Glorion C. Traumatic hip dislocation in childhood. J Pediatr Orthop. 2005 Mar-Apr;25(2):138-44. 
- Yamada N, Maeda S, Fujii G, Kita A, Funayama K, Kokubun S. Closed reduction of developmental dislocation of the hip by prolonged traction. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003 Nov;85(8):1173-7.