Hip Dislocation Treatment
Treatment for a hip dislocation usually includes placement of the dislocated hip back into its normal position. This is usually performed in the operating room. Treatment for a hip dislocation may include a hip joint replacement if the hip is also fractured. Additional treatment includes nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain, crutches, a walker, and physical therapy.
Treatment options for a hip dislocation include:
- Reduction of the hip dislocation:
- Realignment of the bones
- Surgery for a hip fracture
- Physical therapy for hip dislocation
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Celecoxib (Celebrex)
- Narcotic pain medication:
Hip Dislocation Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of a hip dislocation.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having this injury again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Hip Dislocation Specialist
Continue to Hip Dislocation Home Care
- Hamilton H, Fung T, Rapley P. Reconstruction for chronic dislocation of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003 Aug;85(6):802-8. 
- Soong M, Rubash HE, Macaulay W. Dislocation after total hip arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2004 Sep-Oct;12(5):314-21. 
- Vialle R, Odent T, Pannier S, Pauthier F, Laumonier F, Glorion C. Traumatic hip dislocation in childhood. J Pediatr Orthop. 2005 Mar-Apr;25(2):138-44. 
- Yamada N, Maeda S, Fujii G, Kita A, Funayama K, Kokubun S. Closed reduction of developmental dislocation of the hip by prolonged traction. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003 Nov;85(8):1173-7.