High Cholesterol Diet
Avoid foods that contain animal fat: follow a low fat diet. The human body does not need cholesterol in the diet because the liver produces cholesterol. Extra cholesterol comes from animal fat. Avoid foods that contain animal fat: follow a low fat diet.
Avoid foods that are high in cholesterol:
- Red meat
- Egg yolk
Low cholesterol diet:
- Less than 7% of the day's total calories from saturated fat.
- 30% or less of the day's total calories from fat.
- Less than 200 milligrams of dietary cholesterol a day.
- Less than 10 % of calories from polyunsaturated fat
- Less than 10-15 % of calories from monounsaturated fat
Continue to High Cholesterol Drugs
- Borghi C, Veronesi M, Bacchelli S, Esposti DD, Cosentino E, Ambrosioni E. Serum cholesterol levels, blood pressure response to stress and incidence of stable hypertension in young subjects with high normal blood pressure. J Hypertens. 2004 Feb;22(2):265-72. 
- Morgan JM, Capuzzi DM. Hypercholesterolemia. The NCEP Adult Treatment Panel III Guidelines. Geriatrics. 2003 Aug;58(8):33-8. 
- Schatz IJ, Masaki K, Yano K, Chen R, Rodriguez BL, Curb JD. Cholesterol and all-cause mortality in elderly people from the Honolulu Heart Program: a cohort study. Lancet. 2001 Aug 4;358(9279):351-5.