Herpes Stomatitis Treatment
Herpes gingivostomatitis usually resolves without treatment after 4 to 6 days. Medication may be prescribed to reduce symptoms or prevent episodes in those who have severe symptoms. Treatment for herpes gingivostomatitis usually includes antiviral medications and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain.
Treatment options for herpes gingivostomatitis include:
- Antiviral medications for herpes:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Clean blisters on the skin thoroughly twice a day.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment.
- Clean blisters inside the mouth 3 times a day:
- Use hydrogen peroxide oral rinses.
- Soft diet
- Oral anesthetics:
Herpes Stomatitis Specialist
Continue to Herpes Stomatitis Home Care
- Amir J, Harel L, Smetana Z, Varsano I. The natural history of primary herpes simplex type 1 gingivostomatitis in children. Pediatr Dermatol. 1999 Jul-Aug;16(4):259-63. 
- Frenkel LM. Herpes Simplex Virus Infections in Adolescents. Adolesc Med. 1995 Feb;6(1):65-78.