Facts about herpes gingivostomatitis:
- About 4 out 5 adults in the US are infected by the Herpes simplex 1 virus.
- Herpes simplex type 1 causes an oral rash in 80 percent of the cases, and a genital rash in 20 percent of the cases.
- Only about 30 percent of these adults experience episodes of rash.
Last Updated: May 1, 2008 References
Authors: Stephen J. Schueler, MD; John H. Beckett, MD; D. Scott Gettings, MD
Copyright DSHI Systems, Inc. Powered by: FreeMD - Your Virtual Doctor
PubMed Herpes Oral References
- Amir J, Harel L, Smetana Z, Varsano I. The natural history of primary herpes simplex type 1 gingivostomatitis in children. Pediatr Dermatol. 1999 Jul-Aug;16(4):259-63. 
- Frenkel LM. Herpes Simplex Virus Infections in Adolescents. Adolesc Med. 1995 Feb;6(1):65-78.