Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialists Home Care pain and fever adults pain and fever children vomiting warning signs Outlook Complications Transmission Anatomy
Herpes Encephalitis Outlook
- Untreated patients with Herpes simplex virus type 1 have a 70% mortality rate.
- With early treatment, 40% of patients recover without significant neurologic deficits
- The mortality rate in treated patients is 30%.
Continue to Herpes Encephalitis Complications
PubMed Herpes Encephalitis References
- Kimberlin DW. Management of HSV encephalitis in adults and neonates: diagnosis, prognosis and treatment. Herpes. 2007 Jun;14(1):11-6. 
- Whitley RJ. Herpes simplex encephalitis: adolescents and adults. Antiviral Res. 2006 Sep;71(2-3):141-8. Epub 2006 Apr 25.