Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialists Home Care pain and fever adults pain and fever children vomiting warning signs Outlook Complications Transmission Anatomy
Herpes Encephalitis Incidence
- There are about 20,000 reported cases of viral encephalitis each year in the United States.
- Herpes encephalitis accounts for 10-20% of viral encephalitis in the United States.
- The disease is rare. The incidence of Herpes encephalitis is 3 cases per 100,000 persons per year.
- As many as 95% of all deaths from viral encephalitis are caused by a Herpes virus.
Continue to Herpes Encephalitis Risk Factors
PubMed Herpes Encephalitis References
- Kimberlin DW. Management of HSV encephalitis in adults and neonates: diagnosis, prognosis and treatment. Herpes. 2007 Jun;14(1):11-6. 
- Whitley RJ. Herpes simplex encephalitis: adolescents and adults. Antiviral Res. 2006 Sep;71(2-3):141-8. Epub 2006 Apr 25.