Herpangina is a self-limited illness so no specific treatment is required. Herpangina normally resolves without treatment in 5 to 10 days.
Supportive treatment for herpangina includes acetaminophen or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain and fever control. Additional treatment for herpangina includes encouraging oral fluids, saltwater gargles, and oral anesthetics.
Treatment options for herpangina include:
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Take nonprescription medication for sore throat:
- Gargle with warm salt water
- Oral anesthetics:
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat herpangina:
Continue to Herpangina Home Care
- Chang LY, King CC, Hsu KH, Ning HC, Tsao KC, Li CC, Huang YC, Shih SR, Chiou ST, Chen PY, Chang HJ, Lin TY. Risk factors of enterovirus 71 infection and associated hand, foot, and mouth disease/herpangina in children during an epidemic in Taiwan. Pediatrics. 2002 Jun;109(6):e88. 
- Ho M, Chen ER, Hsu KH: An epidemic of enterovirus 71 infection in Taiwan. Taiwan Enterovirus Epidemic Working Group. N Engl J Med 1999 Sep 23; 341(13): 929-35