Hernia in the Groin Anatomy
To better understand inguinal hernia, it helps to understand the anatomy of the abdominal wall and groin.
The internal organs are protected by a muscular abdominal wall:
Inguinal hernias occur when a piece of tissue or intestine pushes through the inguinal canal. In women this may cause a bulge in one side of the vagina. In men, an inguinal hernia may cause a bulge to develop in the scrotum
- Collaboration EH. Laparoscopic compared with open methods of groin hernia repair: systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Br J Surg. 2000 Jul;87(7):860-7. 
- Malek S, Torella F, Edwards PR. Emergency repair of groin herniae: outcome and implications for elective surgery waiting times. Int J Clin Pract. 2004 Feb;58(2):207-9. 
- McCormack K, Scott NW, Go PM, Ross S, Grant AM; EU Hernia Trialists Collaboration. Laparoscopic techniques versus open techniques for inguinal hernia repair. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(1):CD001785. 
- McIntosh A, Hutchinson A, Roberts A, Withers H. Evidence-based management of groin hernia in primary care--a systematic review. Fam Pract. 2000 Oct;17(5):442-7. 
- Richards SK, Vipond MN, Earnshaw JJ. Review of the management of recurrent inguinal hernia. Hernia. 2004 May;8(2):144-8. 
- Zollinger RM Jr. An updated traditional classification of inguinal hernias. Hernia. 2004 Dec;8(4):318-22.