Hernia Hiatal Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of hiatal hernia.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Hernia Hiatal Specialist
- Gorenstein A, Cohen AJ, Cordova Z, Witzling M, Krutman B, Serour F. Hiatal hernia in pediatric gastroesophageal reflux. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2001 Nov;33(5):554-7. 
- Jones MP, Sloan SS, Rabine JC, Ebert CC, Huang CF, Kahrilas PJ. Hiatal hernia size is the dominant determinant of esophagitis presence and severity in gastroesophageal reflux disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2001 Jun;96(6):1711-7. 
- Leeder PC, Smith G, Dehn TC. Laparoscopic management of large paraesophageal hiatal hernia. Surg Endosc. 2003 Sep;17(9):1372-5. 
- Puri V, Kakarlapudi GV, Awad ZT, Filipi CJ. Hiatal hernia recurrence: 2004. Hernia. 2004 Dec;8(4):311-7. 
- Wu AH, Tseng CC, Bernstein L. Hiatal hernia, reflux symptoms, body size, and risk of esophageal and gastric adenocarcinoma. Cancer. 2003 Sep 1;98(5):940-8.