Hernia Hiatal Home Care
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Weight loss if you are overweight
- Avoid food that triggers heartburn.
- Avoid lying on your back after a meal.
- Do not eat within 2 hours of lying down.
- Elevate the head of your bed.
- Sleep on your left side.
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Take nonprescription acid blocker:
- Take antacids:
- Take your prescribed medications as directed:
- Don't skip doses of your medication. This makes them less effective.
- Avoid running out of your medication. Refill your prescriptions early.
- Don't stop taking your medication just because you feel better.
- If you feel worse, talk to your doctor before you stop your medication.
- Be aware of the common side effects that may be caused by your medication.
- Do not stop prescription medications without talking to your doctor.
- Learn everything you can about hiatal hernia:
- The more you know about your condition, the easier it will be to participate with your doctor in making treatment decisions.
- Ask your doctor about good sources for information.
- Write down questions to ask your doctor.
Hernia Hiatal Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have a hiatal hernia and any of the following:
Continue to Hernia Hiatal Complications
- Gorenstein A, Cohen AJ, Cordova Z, Witzling M, Krutman B, Serour F. Hiatal hernia in pediatric gastroesophageal reflux. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2001 Nov;33(5):554-7. 
- Jones MP, Sloan SS, Rabine JC, Ebert CC, Huang CF, Kahrilas PJ. Hiatal hernia size is the dominant determinant of esophagitis presence and severity in gastroesophageal reflux disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2001 Jun;96(6):1711-7. 
- Leeder PC, Smith G, Dehn TC. Laparoscopic management of large paraesophageal hiatal hernia. Surg Endosc. 2003 Sep;17(9):1372-5. 
- Puri V, Kakarlapudi GV, Awad ZT, Filipi CJ. Hiatal hernia recurrence: 2004. Hernia. 2004 Dec;8(4):311-7. 
- Wu AH, Tseng CC, Bernstein L. Hiatal hernia, reflux symptoms, body size, and risk of esophageal and gastric adenocarcinoma. Cancer. 2003 Sep 1;98(5):940-8.