Hepatocellular Carcinoma Treatment
Treatment for liver cancer depends on the stage and spread of the disease at the time of diagnosis. Treatment usually includes some combination of chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and surgery.
Treatment for liver cancer includes:
- Chemotherapy for liver cancer:
- Chemoembolization for liver cancer:
- Chemotherapy medications are injected into the arteries that supply the tumors with blood
- Partial hepatectomy for liver cancer:
- A portion of the liver is removed.
- Radiofrequency ablation for liver cancer:
- Radiowave energy destroys the liver cancer tumors.
- Ethanol or acetic acid ablation for liver cancer:
- Chemicals are injected into the tumor, in order to destroy them.
- Liver transplant for liver cancer
Hepatocellular Carcinoma Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for liver cancer.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- Are my children at risk for this condition?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Hepatocellular Carcinoma Specialist
Continue to Hepatocellular Carcinoma Home Care
- Bhosale P, Szklaruk J, Silverman PM. Current staging of hepatocellular carcinoma: imaging implications. Cancer Imaging. 2006 Jul 4;6:83-94. 
- Hung CH, Lee CM, Lu SN, Wang JH, Hu TH, Tung HD, Chen CH, Chen WJ, Changchien CS. Long-term effect of interferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin therapy on incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with hepatitis C virus-related cirrhosis. J Viral Hepat. 2006 Jun;13(6):409-14. 
- Lewis AM, Martin RC. The treatment of hepatic metastases in colorectal carcinoma. Am Surg. 2006 Jun;72(6):466-73. 
- Lise M, Pilati P, Da Pian P, Mocellin S, Nitti D, Corazzino S. Treatment options for liver metastases from colorectal cancer. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2003 Dec;22(4 Suppl):149-56. 
- Matsui O. Detection and characterization of hepatocellular carcinoma by imaging. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005 Oct;3(10 Suppl 2):S136-40. 
- Thomas MB, Abbruzzese JL. Opportunities for targeted therapies in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Nov 1;23(31):8093-108.