The treatment for hepatitis depends on the underlying cause.
Treatment options for hepatitis include:
- Medications to control nausea and vomiting:
- Acetaminophen may be used for pain and fever control:
- Oral rehydration:
- Intravenous rehydration may be necessary if vomiting is severe
- Liver disease diet:
- Avoidance of medications that could accumulate in the liver
- Antihistamine for itching:
- Antiviral medications for hepatitis B:
- Antiviral medications for hepatitis C:
- Antihistamine for itching:
- Vitamin B supplements:
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine)
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
- Vitamin B3 (niacin)
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid)
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine)
- Vitamin B12 (cobalamin)
- Hepatitis A immunization
- Hepatitis B immunization
- Liver transplant for liver failure
For more information:
Hepatitis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of hepatitis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Am I contagious?
- For how long?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- How do I avoid passing the infection to others?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for liver disease?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat hepatitis:
Continue to Hepatitis Home Care
- Feld JJ, Dinh H, Arenovich T, Marcus VA, Wanless IR, Heathcote EJ. Autoimmune hepatitis: effect of symptoms and cirrhosis on natural history and outcome. Hepatology. 2005 Jul;42(1):53-62. 
- Fung SK, Lok AS. Update on viral hepatitis in 2004. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2005 May;21(3):300-7. 
- Malaguarnera M, Restuccia S, Motta M, Ruello P, Trovato BA, Pistone G. Interferon, cortisone, and antivirals in the treatment of chronic viral hepatitis: a review of 30 years of therapy. Pharmacotherapy. 1997 Sep-Oct;17(5):998-1005. 
- Maria VA, Victorino RM. Development and validation of a clinical scale for the diagnosis of drug-induced hepatitis. Hepatology. 1997 Sep;26(3):664-9. 
- Medina J, Garcia-Buey L, Moreno-Otero R. Review article: immunopathogenetic and therapeutic aspects of autoimmune hepatitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2003 Jan;17(1):1-16.