Hepatitis E Treatment
- Medications to control nausea and vomiting:
- Acetaminophen may be used for pain and fever control:
- Oral rehydration:
- Intravenous rehydration may be necessary if vomiting is severe
- Liver disease diet:
- Avoidance of medications that could accumulate in the liver
- Antihistamine for itching:
- Vitamin B supplements:
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine)
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
- Vitamin B3 (niacin)
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid)
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine)
- Vitamin B12 (cobalamin)
- Hepatitis A immunization
- Hepatitis B immunization
Hepatitis E Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of hepatitis E.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Am I contagious?
- For how long?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- How do I avoid passing the infection to others?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for liver disease?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Hepatitis E Specialist
Continue to Hepatitis E Home Care
- Banks M, Bendall R, Grierson S, Heath G, Mitchell J, Dalton H. Human and porcine hepatitis E virus strains, United Kingdom. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004 May;10(5):953-5. 
- Emerson SU, Purcell RH. Hepatitis E virus. Rev Med Virol. 2003 May-Jun;13(3):145-54. 
- Wang L, Zhuang H. Hepatitis E: an overview and recent advances in vaccine research. World J Gastroenterol. 2004 Aug 1;10(15):2157-62. 
- Worm HC, Wirnsberger G. Hepatitis E vaccines: progress and prospects. Drugs. 2004;64(14):1517-31.