Facts about hemochromatosis:
- About 1 out of every 250 Caucasian people in the US have hemochromatosis.
- It is twice as common in men, than in women.
- It is 6 times more common in whites, than in African Americans.
- The onset of the illness usually occurs after age 40.
Continue to Hemochromatosis Symptoms
- Adams PC, Reboussin DM, Barton JC, et al.; Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload Screening (HEIRS) Study Research Investigators. Hemochromatosis and iron-overload screening in a racially diverse population. N Engl J Med. 2005 Apr 28;352(17):1769-78. 
- Franchini M, Veneri D. Hereditary hemochromatosis. Hematology. 2005 Apr;10(2):145-9. 
- Kowdley KV. Iron, hemochromatosis, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology. 2004 Nov;127(5 Suppl 1):S79-86.