Overview Incidence Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Home Care pain in adults pain in children stress vomiting warning signs Prevention Underlying Cause chronic Types Anatomy
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks, fruit juice and dilute tea. Sports drinks are best. The absence of food allows the intestines to rest.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently. In general, two tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes is an effective strategy.
- Avoid milk and dairy products for 3 days.
- Avoid liquids that irritate the stomach, such as citrus juice, alcohol and coffee.
- If nausea or vomiting continues despite the above, consider one of the nonprescription medicines listed below.
- Once vomiting and nausea resolves, start bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Nonprescription medications for vomiting include:
Continue to Headache Warning Signs
PubMed Headache References
- Bandell-Hoekstra I, Abu-Saad HH, Passchier J, Knipschild P. Recurrent headache, coping, and quality of life in children: a review. Headache. 2000 May;40(5):357-70. 
- Bilchik TR. A review of nonvalidated and complementary therapies for cluster headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2004 Apr;8(2):157-61. 
- Colman I, Brown MD, Innes GD, Grafstein E, Roberts TE, Rowe BH. Parenteral dihydroergotamine for acute migraine headache: a systematic review of the literature. Ann Emerg Med. 2005 Apr;45(4):393-401. 
- Jensen R. Pathophysiological mechanisms of tension-type headache: a review of epidemiological and experimental studies. Cephalalgia. 1999 Jul;19(6):602-21. 
- Manias P, Tagaris G, Karageorgiou K. Acupuncture in headache: a critical review. Clin J Pain. 2000 Dec;16(4):334-9. 
- Rains JC, Penzien DB, McCrory DC, Gray RN. Behavioral headache treatment: history, review of the empirical literature, and methodological critique. Headache. 2005 May;45 Suppl 2:S92-109. 
- Rozen TD. Interventional treatment for cluster headache: a review of the options. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2002 Feb;6(1):57-64. 
- Smetana GW. The diagnostic value of historical features in primary headache syndromes: a comprehensive review. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Oct 9;160(18):2729-37. 
- Walker RA, Wadman MC. Headache in the elderly. Clin Geriatr Med. 2007 May;23(2):291-305, v-vi.