Head Pain Overview
Another name for Head Pain is Headache.
What is a headache?
A person with a headache has discomfort beneath the scalp or forehead, or behind the eyes. A headache may be a new symptom, or a chronic condition that tends to occur frequently. Common causes of headache include fever, head injury, viral infections, sinusitis, and migraines.
What are the symptoms of a headache?
A headache often occurs with other symptoms. These symptoms can provide an important clue to the underlying cause. Symptoms that occur with headaches include blurry vision, nausea, sensitivity to light or noise, vomiting, fever, neck pain, or neck stiffness. Symptoms that occur with serious headaches include confusion, difficulty walking, difficulty speaking, and excessive sleepiness.
How does the doctor treat a headache?
Treatment for a headache depends on the underlying cause. The general treatment of a headache includes cold compresses and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain. Additional treatment for headaches may include migraine headache medications and narcotic pain medications.
Continue to Head Pain Incidence
- Bandell-Hoekstra I, Abu-Saad HH, Passchier J, Knipschild P. Recurrent headache, coping, and quality of life in children: a review. Headache. 2000 May;40(5):357-70. 
- Bilchik TR. A review of nonvalidated and complementary therapies for cluster headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2004 Apr;8(2):157-61. 
- Colman I, Brown MD, Innes GD, Grafstein E, Roberts TE, Rowe BH. Parenteral dihydroergotamine for acute migraine headache: a systematic review of the literature. Ann Emerg Med. 2005 Apr;45(4):393-401. 
- Jensen R. Pathophysiological mechanisms of tension-type headache: a review of epidemiological and experimental studies. Cephalalgia. 1999 Jul;19(6):602-21. 
- Manias P, Tagaris G, Karageorgiou K. Acupuncture in headache: a critical review. Clin J Pain. 2000 Dec;16(4):334-9. 
- Rains JC, Penzien DB, McCrory DC, Gray RN. Behavioral headache treatment: history, review of the empirical literature, and methodological critique. Headache. 2005 May;45 Suppl 2:S92-109. 
- Rozen TD. Interventional treatment for cluster headache: a review of the options. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2002 Feb;6(1):57-64. 
- Smetana GW. The diagnostic value of historical features in primary headache syndromes: a comprehensive review. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Oct 9;160(18):2729-37. 
- Walker RA, Wadman MC. Headache in the elderly. Clin Geriatr Med. 2007 May;23(2):291-305, v-vi.