Hansen's Disease Incidence
Facts about leprosy:
- Only 100 cases are reported each year in the US. Most of these cases have been reported in the Texas, Louisiana, California, and Hawaii.
- Most cases of leprosy in the USA develop in travelers to tropical climates who return to the USA.
- About one-third of leprosy cases in the USA are associated with exposure to armadillos. Any handling of raw armadillo meat or consumption of cooked meat is considered a risk. Approximately 15% of armadillos in the US are thought to harbor the bacteria responsible for leprosy.
- About 400,000 cases occur across the world each year.
- Most cases occur in tropical or subtropical regions of the world.
Continue to Hansen's Disease Symptoms
- Hartzell JD, Zapor M, Peng S, Straight T. Leprosy: a case series and review. South Med J. 2004 Dec;97(12):1252-6. 
- Le Grand A. Women and leprosy: a review. Lepr Rev. 1997 Sep;68(3):203-11.