Hansen's Disease Home Care
Home care for leprosy includes:
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
- Don't skip doses of your medication. This makes them less effective.
- Be aware of the common side effects that may be caused by your medication.
- Learn everything you can about leprosy:
- The more you know about your condition, the easier it will be to participate with your doctor in making treatment decisions.
- Ask your doctor about good sources for information.
- Write down questions to ask your doctor.
Hansen's Disease Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have leprosy and any of the following:
- Worsening skin lesions
- Worsening skin redness and pain:
- Worsening hand numbness (unilateral)
- Worsening arm numbness (unilateral)
- Worsening leg numbness (unilateral)
- Inability to take medications
- Arm weakness (unilateral)
- Leg weakness (unilateral)
- Hand weakness (unilateral)
- Facial weakness
Continue to Hansen's Disease Prevention
- Hartzell JD, Zapor M, Peng S, Straight T. Leprosy: a case series and review. South Med J. 2004 Dec;97(12):1252-6. 
- Le Grand A. Women and leprosy: a review. Lepr Rev. 1997 Sep;68(3):203-11.