Overview Symptoms Treatment specialist Home Care pain control vomiting warning signs Prevention Outlook Underlying Cause
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks, fruit juice and dilute tea. Sports drinks are best. The absence of food allows the intestines to rest.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently. In general, two tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes is an effective strategy.
- Avoid milk and dairy products for 3 days.
- Avoid liquids that irritate the stomach, such as citrus juice, alcohol and coffee.
- If nausea or vomiting continues despite the above, consider one of the nonprescription medicines listed below.
- Once vomiting and nausea resolves, start bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Nonprescription medications for vomiting include:
Continue to Hangover Warning Signs
PubMed Hangover References
- Barker CT. The alcohol hangover and its potential impact on the UK armed forces: a review of the literature on post-alcohol impairment. J R Army Med Corps. 2004 Sep;150(3):168-74. 
- Swift R, Davidson D. Alcohol hangover: mechanisms and mediators. Alcohol Health Res World. 1998;22(1):54-60. 
- Wiese JG, Shlipak MG, Browner WS. The alcohol hangover. Ann Intern Med. 2000 Jun 6;132(11):897-902.