The treatment for halitosis depends on the underlying cause. Treatment for halitosis usually includes drinking plenty of water, good oral hygiene, regular dental cleanings, vitamin supplements, brush tongue twice a day, saltwater gargles, and mouthwash. Some may benefit from antibiotics.
Treatment options for halitosis include:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Maintain good oral hygiene:
- Brush your teeth after meals and at bedtime.
- Floss your teeth every day.
- Gargle with dilute saltwater three times per day.
- See your dentist every 6 months.
- Brush with tartar control toothpaste.
- Clean your tongue with a tongue scraper once a day.
- Brush your tongue back to front after brushing your teeth
- Use mouthwash after brushing
- Using mouthwash prior to bedtime, because the bacterial activity leading to bad breath is greatest during the nighttime.
- Chew sugarless gum.
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat halitosis:
Continue to Halitosis Home Care
- Feller L, Blignaut E. Halitosis: a review. SADJ. 2005 Feb;60(1):17-9. 
- Tangerman A. Halitosis in medicine: a review. Int Dent J. 2002 Jun;52 Suppl 3:201-6.