Hair Loss Scarring Alopecia
Scarring alopecia is caused by inflammation, scarring, and destruction of hair follicles.
This form of hair loss can accompany other illnesses and tends to be permanent.
Types of scarring alopecia include:
- Lenane P, Pope E, Krafchik B. Congenital alopecia areata. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005 Feb;52(2 Suppl 1):8-11. 
- Ross EK, Shapiro J. Management of hair loss. Dermatol Clin. 2005 Apr;23(2):227-43. 
- Trueb RM; Swiss Trichology Study Group. Finasteride treatment of patterned hair loss in normoandrogenic postmenopausal women. Dermatology. 2004;209(3):202-7. 
- Wiedemeyeer K, Schill WB, LOser C. Diseases on hair follicles leading to hair loss part I: nonscarring alopecias. Skinmed. 2004 Jul-Aug;3(4):209-14. 
- Wiedemeyer K, Schill WB, Loser C. Diseases on hair follicles leading to hair loss part II: scarring alopecias. Skinmed. 2004 Sep-Oct;3(5):266-9.