Grave's Disease Risk Factors
Risk factors for hyperthyroidism include:
- Family history of Grave's disease
- Female gender
- Age between 20 and 40
- History of an autoimmune disease
- Injury to the neck and thyroid gland
- Major stress
- Treatment with interferon beta-1b and interleukin-4, immunosuppressant therapy, antiretroviral treatment for AIDS, and lithium.
- Iodine exposure or ingesting an excess of iodine-containing foods
Continue to Grave's Disease Symptoms
- Abraham P, Avenell A, Watson WA, Park CM, Bevan JS. Antithyroid drug regimen for treating Graves' hyperthyroidism. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 Apr 18;(2):CD003420. 
- Holm IA, Manson JE, Michels KB, Alexander EK, Willett WC, Utiger RD. Smoking and other lifestyle factors and the risk of Graves' hyperthyroidism. Arch Intern Med. 2005 Jul 25;165(14):1606-11. 
- McKeown NJ, Tews MC, Gossain VV, Shah SM. Hyperthyroidism. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2005 Aug;23(3):669-85, viii. 
- Weetman AP. Grave's disease 1835-2002. Horm Res. 2003;59 Suppl 1:114-8.