General treatment for Wegener's granulomatosis includes medications that help reduce inflammation and swelling. Wegener's granulomatosis can recur after treatment, so your doctor will need to monitor your condition with regular physician visits.
Specific treatment for Wegener's granulomatosis includes:
- Corticosteroids for Wegener's granulomatosis:
- Additional medications for Wegener's granulomatosis:
- A kidney transplant in the event kidneys are damaged may be an option
Granulomatosis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of Wegener's granulomatosis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for Wegener's granulomatosis complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat Wegener's granulomatosis:
Continue to Granulomatosis Home Care
- Albert D, Clarkin C, Komoroski J, Brensinger CM, Berlin JA. Wegener's granulomatosis: Possible role of environmental agents in its pathogenesis. Arthritis Rheum. 2004 Aug 15;51(4):656-64. 
- Lamprecht P, Gross WL. Wegener's granulomatosis. Herz. 2004 Feb;29(1):47-56. 
- Langford CA. Wegener's granulomatosis: current and upcoming therapies. Arthritis Res Ther. 2003;5(4):180-91. 
- Nishiike S, Kato T, Nagai M, Konishi M, Sakata Y. Management and follow-up of localized Wegener's granulomatosis: a review of five cases. Acta Otolaryngol. 2004 Nov;124(9):1103-8.