Grand Mal Seizure First Aid
First aid for a tonic clonic seizure includes:
- Do not place anything into the patient's mouth or grab the tongue.
- Do not try to give liquids during, or immediately after, the seizure.
- Notify emergency medical personnel by calling 911.
- Protect the person from nearby hazards.
- Reassure the person when consciousness returns.
- Role the person onto the left side if he or she starts to vomit.
- Try to keep the seizing patient away from objects that may cause an injury.
Continue to Grand Mal Seizure Taking Control
- Camfield P, Camfield C. Epileptic syndromes in childhood: clinical features, outcomes, and treatment. Epilepsia. 2002;43 Suppl 3:27-32. 
- Gilad R, Lampl Y, Gabbay U, Eshel Y, Sarova-Pinhas I. Early treatment of a single generalized tonic-clonic seizure to prevent recurrence. Arch Neurol. 1996 Nov;53(11):1149-52. 
- Kinsman SL, Vining EP, Quaskey SA, Mellits D, Freeman JM. Efficacy of the ketogenic diet for intractable seizure disorders: review of 58 cases. Epilepsia. 1992 Nov-Dec;33(6):1132-6. 
- Pearl PL, Bennett HD, Khademian Z. Seizures and metabolic disease. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2005 Mar;5(2):127-33.