Prevention of Giardia infections includes:
- Wash your hands after using the toilet.
- Avoid eating raw clams or oysters.
- Do not drink unpasteurized milk.
- Do not share food utensils.
- Wash your hands after handling raw meat, seafood, or poultry.
- Make sure all meat, poultry and fish products are well cooked.
- Never drink untreated water when camping or hiking.
- Travelers to developing countries should avoid:
- Foods that are not steaming hot
- Raw vegetables
- Fruit they have not peeled themselves
- Tap water, including ice
Continue to Giardiasis Outlook
- Vesy CJ, Peterson WL. Review article: the management of Giardiasis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 1999 Jul;13(7):843-50. 
- Welch TP. Risk of giardiasis from consumption of wilderness water in North America: a systematic review of epidemiologic data. Int J Infect Dis. 2000;4(2):100-3.