GHB Abuse Underlying Cause
The cause of drug abuse is not known. However, those who abuse drugs seem to be searching for something that will provide pleasure or happiness. The drug makes them feel good in some way.
Personality traits of those who abuse drugs include:
Unfortunately, drug abuse usually starts in teenagers, who have poor self-esteem and are sensitive to peer pressure.
Social factors in teenagers who abuse drugs include:
- Alcohol abuse in the family
- Drug use in the family
- Exposure to violence
- Lack of family support
- Poor scholastic performance
- Victim of abuse
Continue to GHB Abuse Types
- Galea S, Nandi A, Vlahov D. The social epidemiology of substance use. Epidemiol Rev. 2004;26:36-52. 
- Isaacson JH, Hopper JA, Alford DP, Parran T. Prescription drug use and abuse. Risk factors, red flags, and prevention strategies. Postgrad Med. 2005 Jul;118(1):19-26. 
- Karch SB. Cocaine cardiovascular toxicity. South Med J. 2005 Aug;98(8):794-9. 
- Mattick RP, Kimber J, Breen C, Davoli M. Buprenorphine maintenance versus placebo or methadone maintenance for opioid dependence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(3):CD002207. 
- Skiba D, Monroe J, Wodarski JS. Adolescent substance use: reviewing the effectiveness of prevention strategies. Soc Work. 2004 Jul;49(3):343-53.