Genital Herpes Outlook
What to expect with herpes genitalis:
- Once infected by herpes simplex type 2 virus, there is no cure: the virus remains in the body for life.
- After initial infection, the virus causes temporary symptoms that resolve, but additional episodes are common.
- The number of additional attacks vary from person to person.
- The severity of additional attacks is usually less than the initial attack.
Continue to Genital Herpes Underlying Cause
- Corey L, Ashley R; Valaciclovir HSV Transmission Study Group. Prevention of herpes simplex virus type 2 transmission with antiviral therapy. Herpes. 2004 Aug;11 Suppl 3:170A-174A. 
- Spruance SL, Tyring SK, DeGregorio B, Miller C, Beutner K. A large-scale, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging trial of peroral valaciclovir for episodic treatment of recurrent herpes genitalis. Valaciclovir HSV Study Group. Arch Intern Med. 1996 Aug 12-26;156(15):1729-35. 
- Weiss H. Epidemiology of herpes simplex virus type 2 infection in the developing world. Herpes. 2004 Apr;11 Suppl 1:24A-35A.