Gastroenteritis Viral Prevention
Prevention of viral gastroenteritis includes:
- Wash your hands after using the toilet.
- Avoid eating raw clams or oysters.
- Do not drink unpasteurized milk.
- Do not share food utensils.
- Wash your hands after handling raw meat, seafood, or poultry.
- Make sure all meat, poultry and fish products are well cooked.
- Travelers can take 2 tablets of Pepto-Bismol with each meal and at bedtime.
- Travelers to developing countries should avoid:
- Foods that are not steaming hot
- Raw vegetables
- Fruit they have not peeled themselves
- Tap water, including ice
Continue to Gastroenteritis Viral Outlook
- Beller M, Ellis A, Lee SH, Drebot MA, Jenkerson SA, Funk E, Sobsey MD, Simmons OD 3rd, Monroe SS, Ando T, Noel J, Petric M, Middaugh JP, Spika JS. Outbreak of viral gastroenteritis due to a contaminated well. International consequences. JAMA. 1997 Aug 20;278(7):563-8. 
- Clark B, McKendrick M. A review of viral gastroenteritis. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2004 Oct;17(5):461-9. 
- Koopmans M. Outbreaks of viral gastroenteritis: what's new in 2004? Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2005 Aug;18(4):295-9. 
- Lopman BA, Reacher MH, Van Duijnhoven Y, Hanon FX, Brown D, Koopmans M. Viral gastroenteritis outbreaks in Europe, 1995-2000. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003 Jan;9(1):90-6.