Gastroenteritis Shigella Vomiting in Adults
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks, fruit juice and dilute tea. Sports drinks are best.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently. In general, two tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes is an effective strategy.
- Avoid milk and dairy products for 3 days.
- Avoid liquids that irritate the stomach, such as citrus juice, alcohol and coffee.
- If nausea or vomiting continues despite the above, consider one of the nonprescription medicines listed below.
- Once vomiting and nausea resolves, start bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Nonprescription medications for vomiting include:
Continue to Gastroenteritis Shigella Vomiting in Children
- Bhattacharya SK, Sur D. An evaluation of current shigellosis treatment. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2003 Aug;4(8):1315-20. 
- Gupta A, Polyak CS, Bishop RD, Sobel J, Mintz ED. Laboratory-confirmed shigellosis in the United States, 1989-2002: epidemiologic trends and patterns. Clin Infect Dis. 2004 May 15;38(10):1372-7. 
- Lee LA, Shapiro CN, Hargrett-Bean N, Tauxe RV. Hyperendemic shigellosis in the United States: a review of surveillance data for 1967-1988. J Infect Dis. 1991 Nov;164(5):894-900. 
- Niyogi SK. Shigellosis. J Microbiol. 2005 Apr;43(2):133-43.