Gallbladder Cancer Treatment
Treatment for gallbladder cancer generally includes some combination of surgery (to remove the gallbladder) combined with radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
Treatment for gallbladder cancer may include:
- Surgery for gallbladder cancer:
- To remove the gallbladder and surrounding lymph nodes
- Common treatment for early gallbladder cancer (cancer is confined to the gallbladder)
- Cancer that has spread beyond the gallbladder will require the surgical removal of the gallbladder and a portion of the liver and bile ducts.
- Chemotherapy for gallbladder cancer:
- Used to treat late stage gallbladder cancer
- The administration of medicines that kill cancer cells.
- Gemcitabine (Gemzar)
- Cisplatin (Platinol)
- Radiation therapy for gallbladder cancer:
Gallbladder Cancer Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of gallbladder cancer.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Are my children at risk for this condition?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Gallbladder Cancer Specialist
Continue to Gallbladder Cancer Home Care
- Larsson SC, Wolk A. Obesity and the risk of gallbladder cancer: a meta-analysis. Br J Cancer. 2007 May 7;96(9):1457-61. Epub 2007 Mar 20. 
- Miller G, Jarnagin WR. Gallbladder carcinoma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2008 Mar;34(3):306-12. Epub 2007 Oct 26. Review. 
- Reid KM, Ramos-De la Medina A, Donohue JH. Diagnosis and surgical management of gallbladder cancer: a review. J Gastrointest Surg. 2007 May;11(5):671-81.