Fussy Newborn Home Care
Home care for mild fussiness includes:
- Techniques to calm your baby
- Learn how to hold your baby properly
- Provide adequate time for your baby to sleep.
- Breastfeeding mothers should:
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Remove cow's milk from the diet.
- Provide soy formula.
- Learn how to feed your baby.
- Treat causes of fussiness:
- Anal fissure treatment
- Constipation treatment
- Diaper rash treatment
- Remove an eyelash in the eye.
- Remove hair wrapped around the finger or penis.
- For infants under 3 months old:
- Place the infant in a quiet, dark room to sleep.
- Continue breastfeeding every 2-4 hours.
- Infants who are hungry after breastfeeding may require formula feedings.
- Cuddle and rock your baby.
- Do not place the infant face down to sleep.
Fussy Newborn Feeding Your Baby
For information on bottle feeding:
For information on breast feeding:
Fussy Newborn Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have a fussy infant and any of the following:
- Bulging, soft spot on the scalp
- Fever over 100.4 degrees F (38 C) in an infant less than 8 weeks of age
- Fever over 101 degrees F (38.3) in an infant less than 3 months
- A severe or worsening cough
- Abnormally sleepy, sluggish or poorly responsive behavior
- An apparent sore throat with difficulty swallowing formula or water
- Blood in the stool or vomit
- Persistent vomiting after feeding
- Pulling at one ear
- Screaming for more than 3 hours without relief
- Tender or swollen testicle
- Wheezing or breathing difficulty
- Wrapped hair on a finger or the penis that you cannot remove
Continue to Fussy Newborn Underlying Cause
- Hyman PE, Milla PJ, Benninga MA, Davidson GP, Fleisher DF, Taminiau J. Childhood functional gastrointestinal disorders: neonate/toddler. Gastroenterology. 2006 Apr;130(5):1519-26. 
- Keefe MR, Lobo ML, Froese-Fretz A, Kotzer AM, Barbosa GA, Dudley WN. Effectiveness of an intervention for colic. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2006 Mar;45(2):123-33. 
- Leung AK, Lemay JF. Infantile colic: a review. J R Soc Health. 2004 Jul;124(4):162-6. 
- Lucassen PL, Assendelft WJ, Gubbels JW, van Eijk JT, van Geldrop WJ, Neven AK. Effectiveness of treatments for infantile colic: systematic review. BMJ. 1998 May 23;316(7144):1563-9. 
- Lucassen PL, Assendelft WJ, van Eijk JT, Gubbels JW, Douwes AC, van Geldrop WJ. Systematic review of the occurrence of infantile colic in the community. Arch Dis Child. 2001 May;84(5):398-403. 
- Novosad C, Thoman EB. The breathing bear: an intervention for crying babies and their mothers. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2003 Apr;24(2):89-95.