Overview Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Home Care pain in adults pain in children warning signs Prevention
Frostbite and Frostnip Prevention
Prevention of frostbite and frostnip includes:
- Prepare for exposure to the cold:
- Wear warm clothing.
- Wear clothes in layers.
- Wear an outside layer that blocks the wind:
- Wind chill can quickly lower skin temperature.
- Keep extra clothes in your car.
- Wear wicking underwear:
- Keeps the skin dry
PubMed Frostbite and Frostnip References
- Hassi J, Makinen TM. Frostbite: occurrence, risk factors and consequences. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2000 Apr;59(2):92-8. 
- Su CW, Lohman R, Gottlieb LJ. Frostbite of the upper extremity. Hand Clin. 2000 May;16(2):235-47.