Fractured Mandible Treatment
Treatment of a jaw fracture usually includes cold compresses, narcotic pain medications, a liquid diet, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain. Surgery is often required to realign the jaw. Usually, wires are placed around the teeth and the jaw is held in place, so that it can heal.
Treatment options for a jaw fracture include:
- Cold compresses:
- Apply for 20 minutes at a time, 2 to 3 times per day
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Narcotic pain medication
- Liquid diet
- Soft diet
- Surgery for jaw fracture:
- To repair the broken bone
- Wiring the mouth closed for jaw fracture
- To stabilize the fractured bone
Fractured Mandible Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for a jaw fracture.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Fractured Mandible Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat jaw fractures:
Continue to Fractured Mandible Home Care
- Donat TL, Endress C, Mathog RH. Facial fracture classification according to skeletal support mechanisms. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1998 Dec;124(12):1306-14. 
- King RE, Scianna JM, Petruzzelli GJ. Mandible fracture patterns: a suburban trauma center experience. Am J Otolaryngol. 2004 Sep-Oct;25(5):301-7. 
- Lazow SK. The mandible fracture: a treatment protocol. J Craniomaxillofac Trauma. 1996 Summer;2(2):24-30.