Foramen Ovale is Open Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of atrial septal defect.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for heart disease?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Foramen Ovale is Open Specialist
- Baskett RJ, Tancock E, Ross DB. The gold standard for atrial septal defect closure: current surgical results, with an emphasis on morbidity. Pediatr Cardiol. 2003 Sep-Oct;24(5):444-7. 
- Graham TP Jr, Driscoll DJ, Gersony WM, Newburger JW, Rocchini A, Towbin JA. Task Force 2: congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Apr 19;45(8):1326-33. 
- Moake L, Ramaciotti C. Atrial septal defect treatment options. AACN Clin Issues. 2005 Apr-Jun;16(2):252-66. 
- Pinto FJ. When and how to diagnose patent foramen ovale. Heart. 2005 Apr;91(4):438-40.