Folliculitis Underlying Cause
Folliculitis starts when the skin around the hair follicle is damaged. Once the skin is damaged, the follicle can become infected by bacteria that are normally on the skin surface. The infection leads to inflammation of the hair follicle, resulting in folliculitis.
Damage to the follicle may be caused by:
- Blockage of the follicle by creams or lotions
- Chemical peels
- Friction from sports uniforms
- Friction from clothes
Continue to Folliculitis Anatomy
- Al-Dhafiri SA, Molinari R. Herpetic folliculitis. J Cutan Med Surg. 2002 Jan-Feb;6(1):19-22. 
- Luelmo-Aguilar J, Santandreu MS. Folliculitis: recognition and management. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2004;5(5):301-10. 
- Mengesha YM, Bennett ML. Pustular skin disorders: diagnosis and treatment. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2002;3(6):389-400.