Flushing Syndrome Treatment
Treatment for carcinoid syndrome may include:
- Surgery for carcinoid tumors
- Chemotherapy for carcinoid:
- Doxorubicin (Adriamycin)
- Streptozocin, streptozotocin (Zanosar)
- Fluorouracil, 5-FU (Adrucil)
- Cisplatin (Platinol)
- Etoposide (Toposar, VePesid)
- Radiation therapy for carcinoid
- Interferon-alpha, INF-alpha (Roferon-A, Intron-A)
- Octreotide for carcinoid
- Interferon alpha
- Cyproheptadine (Periactin)
- For those with histamine producing tumors
- Ranitidine (Zantac):
- Used for chronic urticaria
- Clonidine (Catapres)
- Improves heart function
Flushing Syndrome Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of carcinoid syndrome.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having this problem again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Flushing Syndrome Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat carcinoid syndrome:
Continue to Flushing Syndrome Warning Signs
- Ahlman H, Nilsson O, Olausson M. Interventional treatment of the carcinoid syndrome. Neuroendocrinology. 2004;80 Suppl 1:67-73. 
- Akerstrom G, Hellman P, Hessman O, Osmak L. Management of midgut carcinoids. J Surg Oncol. 2005 Mar 1;89(3):161-9. 
- Fox DJ, Khattar RS. Carcinoid heart disease: presentation, diagnosis, and management. Heart. 2004 Oct;90(10):1224-8. 
- Nikou GC, Lygidakis NJ, Toubanakis C, et al. Current diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal carcinoids in a series of 101 patients: the significance of serum chromogranin-A, somatostatin receptor scintigraphy and somatostatin analogues. Hepatogastroenterology. 2005 May-Jun;52(63):731-41.