Fingernail Ingrown Evaluation
The evaluation of an ingrown fingernail includes a history and physical exam.
Physical findings in someone with an ingrown fingernail include:
- Red skin next to the fingernail
- Skin swelling next to the fingernail
- Skin tenderness next to the fingernail
- Tenderness of the fingernail
No testing is necessary to make the diagnosis of an ingrown fingernail.
Continue to Fingernail Ingrown Treatment
- Mori H, Umeda T, Nishioka K, Iida H, Aoki K, Yokoyama A. Ingrown nails: a comparison of the nail matrix phenolization method with the elevation of the nail bed-periosteal flap procedure. J Dermatol. 1998 Jan;25(1):1-4. 
- Takahashi M, Narisawa Y. Radical surgery for ingrown nails by partial resection of the nail plate and matrix using a carbon dioxide laser. J Cutan Laser Ther. 2000 Mar;2(1):21-5.