Finger Pain Treatment
The treatment for finger pain depends on the underlying cause.
Treatment for finger pain may include:
- Wound irrigation
- Wound cleansing
- Wound repair
- Cold compresses:
- Apply for 20 minutes at a time, 2 to 3 times per day
- Use cold compresses for finger pain due to an injury
- Warm compresses:
- Avoid warm compresses for finger pain due to an injury.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Narcotic pain medication:
- May help to support a very swollen hand
- Long term immobilization in a sling can lead to frozen shoulder.
- If you wear a shoulder sling for longer than two weeks make sure you perform shoulder range of motion exercises twice a day to avoid frozen shoulder.
- Finger splint for finger fracture
- Reduction of the finger dislocation:
- Relocation of the misaligned bones
- Surgery for finger fracture
- Physical therapy for finger pain
- Antibiotics for finger infections
For more information:
Finger Pain Specialist
Continue to Finger Pain Home Care
- Ashe MC, McCauley T, Khan KM. Tendinopathies in the upper extremity: a paradigm shift. J Hand Ther. 2004 Jul-Sep;17(3):329-34. 
- Brook I. Management of human and animal bite wounds: an overview. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2005 May;18(4):197-203. 
- Brosseau L, Casimiro L, Milne S, Robinson V, Shea B, Tugwell P, Wells G. Deep transverse friction massage for treating tendinitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002;(4):CD003528. 
- Campbell DA, Kay SP. The Hand Injury Severity Scoring System. J Hand Surg [Br]. 1996 Jun;21(3):295-8. 
- Chan J, Spencer J. Adaptation to hand injury: an evolving experience. Am J Occup Ther. 2004 Mar-Apr;58(2):128-39. 
- Freiberg A, Pollard BA, Macdonald MR, Duncan MJ. Management of proximal interphalangeal joint injuries. Hand Clin. 2006 Aug;22(3):235-42. 
- Gaar E. Occupational hand infections. Clin Occup Environ Med. 2006;5(2):369-80, viii. 
- Gustafsson M, Ahlstrom G. Problems experienced during the first year of an acute traumatic hand injury - a prospective study. J Clin Nurs. 2004 Nov;13(8):986-95.