Fever Rift Valley Mosquito Bites
Preventing Rift valley fever starts with preventing mosquito bites.
Guidelines to Prevent Mosquito Bites
- Apply insect repellent to exposed skin.
- Wear insect repellent clothing.
- Apply DEET repellants to clothing.
- Consider staying indoors at dawn, dusk, and in the early evening.
- Install or repair window and door screens so that mosquitoes cannot get indoors.
- Place mosquito netting over infant carriers when you are outdoors with infants.
- Repellents may irritate the eyes and mouth, so avoid applying repellent to the hands of children.
- Remove standing water: empty water from flowerpots, pet bowls, clogged rain gutters, swimming pool covers, etc.
- When possible, wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants when outdoors.
Continue to Fever Rift Valley Outlook
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Rift Valley Fever--East Africa, 1997-1998. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1998 Apr 10;47(13):261-4. 
- Gerdes GH. Rift Valley fever. Rev Sci Tech. 2004 Aug;23(2):613-23. 
- Nabeth P, Kane Y, Abdalahi MO, Diallo M, Ndiaye K, Ba K, Schneegans F, Sall AA, Mathiot C. Rift Valley fever outbreak, Mauritania, 1998: seroepidemiologic, virologic, entomologic, and zoologic investigations. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001 Nov-Dec;7(6):1052-4.